This post contains affiliate links.
Lacrosse is growing in popularity as a sport, and many people are curious about what combination of sports is in lacrosse. In this article, I will be answering this and giving some tips on how to get started in lacrosse.
Lacrosse is a combination of 4 different sports:
This makes it a very unique sport that requires a lot of skill and athleticism. The game was created by the Native Americans and was originally played with sticks and a small ball. It has since evolved into the modern sport that we know today.
*By the way, I recently wrote an article about The 4 Sports That Are Most Similar To Lacrosse. These 4 sports contributed to the creation of the lacrosse that we know today. You can check out this article here!
What Sports Is Lacrosse Made Up Of?
Lacrosse is made up of a combination of 4 different sports: Hockey, Basketball, Soccer, and Football. Each one of these sports provided a small contribution to creating the sport of lacrosse. This is why the sport requires a lot of skill and athleticism.
Choosing the right lacrosse stick for you is one of the most important things to do. After having many lacrosse sticks throughout the years, the best one that I came across was the STX Lacrosse Fortress 700 Complete Stick. This lacrosse stick comes with a Crux Mesh Pro Pocket and is perfect for any lacrosse player to use. You can check out this Stick on Amazon!
Below, I discuss what makes lacrosse similar or different from each sport:
Both hockey and lacrosse are played with sticks and a small ball. It is a contact sport and requires a lot of hand-eye coordination.
|The function of the Stick and Ball
- Positioning: Both Lacrosse and hockey have the players set up in specific positions on the field/ice. They both have a line of defenders, midfielders, goalkeepers, and strikers/forwards.
- The function of the Stick and Ball: In both sports, the stick is used to hit the ball into the net/goal.
- Substitutions: In both sports, players can be substituted out as needed.
- Ball Advancement: The ball, in hockey, is advanced by skating with it and passing it on the ground to other players. In lacrosse, the ball is advanced by throwing it to other players or running with it.
*By the way, I recently wrote an article that talks about If Lacrosse Is A Fun Sport To Play. This article breaks down if it is easy to learn lacrosse as well as how lacrosse is played. You can check out this article here!
Lacrosse is similar to basketball in that it is a contact sport played with a ball.
|The function of the ball
- The function of the ball: The ball is used to score points by shooting it through a hoop or net.
- Offense: How the ball is advanced by the players is almost similar in both sports. In basketball, the ball is passed between players until it reaches the player in the best position to score. The same occurs in lacrosse, but the ball can also be advanced by running with it.
How players crossover is also similar in both sports, For example, there is the Double Mumbo Jumbo in basketball, and the same can be done in lacrosse.
There is also Pick-and-Roll, which involves one player setting a screen (pick) for another player who then has the option to roll off the screen or pop up for a shot. This is similar to how a Pick and Pop work in lacrosse.
You might also see Isolation in both sports. This is when one player has the ball and the rest of the team help to shield defenders so the player can face, say, a one-on-one.
- Defense: The rotations in defense are also very similar. Defensive play such as zoning, where each player is responsible for a specific area, is seen in both sports.
- The court/field: The court in basketball is much smaller than the field in lacrosse. This affects how the game is played as there is less space to work with in basketball.
- Contact: There is no contact allowed in basketball, while there is some limited contact in lacrosse.
- Players: The number of players on each team is also different. In basketball, there are five players on each team while in lacrosse, there are ten players on each team.
- Pace: While both sports are fast-paced, basketball is much faster as a team is often timed on how long they have the ball. In lacrosse, there is no time limit so the pace of play can be more controlled.
*By the way, I recently wrote an article about How Many Players Total Are On A Lacrosse Team. This article breaks down exactly how many players, at different levels, each lacrosse team has. You can check out this article here!
The field layout of lacrosse is similar to that of soccer, as both sports are played on a large field with two goals at either end. There is also an emphasis on building stamina and being able to run long distances.
- Field layout: As mentioned, both sports are played on a large field with two goals at either end. The field is divided into different sections, such as the midfield and defensive third.
- Scoring: In both soccer and lacrosse, points are scored by getting the ball into the opposing team’s net/goal.
- Player positions: There are four main positions in both sports: goalkeeper, defenders, midfielders, and forwards/strikers.
- The ball: In soccer, the ball is much larger than the lacrosse ball. Also, the ball is played using the feet while in lacrosse, the ball is played using a stick.
- Fouls: There are different types of fouls in soccer and lacrosse. For example, in soccer, a player can be given a yellow or red card for dangerous play. In lacrosse, a player can be given a penalty for illegal body checking.
- Touch: In soccer, only the goalkeeper is allowed to touch the ball with their hands while in lacrosse, all players are allowed to touch the ball with their sticks.
*By the way, I recently wrote an article about If It Is Possible for A Lacrosse Ball To Break A Bone. This article talks about if it is possible to break a bone when getting hit by a lacrosse ball and what to expect. You can check out this article here!
Lacrosse and football require stamina, speed, and strength. Both sports are played on a large field with two teams trying to score points by getting the ball into the opposing team’s end zone.
- Gear: Both sports require the use of protective gear, such as pads and helmets.
- Contact: In both sports, there is significant contact between players as they battle for position.
- The ball: The ball used in football is much larger and heavier than the lacrosse ball. Also, the football is played with the hands while the lacrosse ball is played with a stick.
- Scoring: In football, points are scored by either getting the ball into the end zone or kicking it through the goalposts. In lacrosse, points are scored by getting the ball into the net/goal.
- Players: There are eleven players on each team in football while there are only ten players on each team in lacrosse.
*By the way, I recently wrote an article about If Lacrosse Players Should Wear Protective Cups. This article talks about if lacrosse players should wear cups and breaks down the rules of wearing protective cups in lacrosse. You can check out this article here!
Which Sport Is Closest Related To Lacrosse?
Hockey is the sport that is most closely related to lacrosse. Both sports are played on a large field with two teams trying to score points by getting the ball/puck into the opposing team’s net/goal.
There is significant contact between players in both sports as they battle for position. Both sports also require the use of protective gear, such as pads and helmets.
The main difference between the two sports is that hockey is played with a puck while lacrosse is played with a ball.
Hopefully, I have given you a better understanding of the sport of lacrosse and what combination of sports it is most similar to. Lacrosse is a unique sport that combines aspects of many different sports. The next time you watch a game, see if you can spot the similarities.
*Side Note: You might be wondering if there are cheerleaders in the sport of lacrosse. I recently wrote an article about If Lacrosse Has Cheerleaders. This article breaks down if there are cheerleaders at ALL levels of lacrosse and professional lacrosse. You can check out this article here!